Statement from State Senator Kevin Parker on the 'Swine Flu' virus
"I know many of us are worried about the impact of the swine influenza A (H1N1) virus on our families and our community, especially our school community. Obviously, our first concern is that we keep our children and our families as safe as possible. It is important to remember that the most effective way to fight any disease is through prevention. My colleagues and I continue to monitor the situation around the state very closely. In the meantime, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are encouraging Americans to take a few simple steps to protect their health which include:"
• Washing your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based sanitizers,
• Using a tissue when you cough, sneeze or spit, and dispose of the tissue in a covered trash bin
• Avoid contact with sick people
• Cleaning shared space more often, such as phone receivers, keyboards, steering wheels and office equipment
• Lastly, refraining from sharing personal items, such as forks, spoons, toothbrushes and towels