Martin Malavé Dilan's Blog
Tips for Fuel Savings and Reduced Emissions This Holiday Weekend, Summer
New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) Commissioner Joan McDonald and the I-95 Corridor Coalition recently announced the Eco-Driving program.
The program offers drivers seven easy actions they can take to reduce their fuel cost by up to $80 for a 700 mile round-trip. Tips include:
- Removing unnecessary items from the trunk in order to reduce vehicle weight can save motorists three to six cents per gallon;
- Fully inflating tires can save motorists up to nine cents per gallon;
- Changing vehicle oil on a regular basis can save motorists three to six cents per gallon;
- Tightening the fuel cap to prevent gasoline fumes from escaping can save motorists 30 gallons of gas per year;
- Reducing speed by five miles-per-hour when driving at more than 60 MPH can save 24 cents per gallon;
- Using air conditioning instead of opening windows when driving at more than 40 MPH can improve fuel efficiency by ten percent; and
- Using cruise control can improve fuel economy by seven percent and save 20 cents per gallon.