Martin Malavé Dilan's Blog
Progress on Plans to Accommodate Riders During R and G Train Tunnel Closures
MTA Adds Bus Service, Suspends Other Construction During Closures
Last month Senator Dilan joined a working group of 17 elected officials, the Riders Alliance and the Straphangers Campaign to present the MTA with a list of suggestions for plans to accommodate riders while repairs to the R and G lines were made.
The MTA has announced that many of the recommendations will become part of services in place as the R and G tunnels undergo construction to repair damage the lines sustained during Superstorm Sandy.
The R train connection to Manhattan will close for 14 months and the G train connection to Queens for 12 weekends in 2013 and five consecutive weeks in 2014.
Some of the suggestions the MTA has accepted include:
- The MTA will add 25% more service on the X27 express bus from Bay Ridge to Lower Manhattan for the duration of the R train tunnel closure;
- The MTA will suspend construction on the 7 and L trains during the period of repair work on the G train;
- The MTA will make available “gap trains” to add additional service if there are unexpected delays on the 4/5 or on the D/N/R during the period of construction on the R train;
- The MTA will consider adding free transfers from the G train Broadway station to the J and M train Lorimer station during the 5-week tunnel closure in 2014;
- The MTA will consider extending the G train shuttle bus route to Queens Plaza during the 5-week tunnel closure in 2014; and
- The MTA is working with New York City DOT to explore accelerating the bikeshare launch in Greenpoint and Williamsburg.