Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the West Valley Hose Company

download pdf



  • 04 / Apr / 2014
  • 29 / Apr / 2014
  • 29 / Apr / 2014

Resolution Details

Law Section:
Resolutions, Legislative



LEGISLATIVE RESOLUTION commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the West
Valley Volunteer Hose Company

WHEREAS, It is the intent of this Legislative Body to recognize and
honor fire companies and their members that have exhibited great dedi-
cation, courage, and selflessness in protecting their neighbors from
fire and other disasters in this great Empire State; and
WHEREAS, Attendant to such concern, and in full accord with its long-
standing traditions, this Legislative Body is justly proud to commem-
orate the 100th Anniversary of the West Valley Volunteer Hose Company;
WHEREAS, Since the early days of the "teapot steamers," the volunteer
firefighter has been the cornerstone of our great State's efforts to
spare us from the ravages of fire; and
WHEREAS, West Valley Volunteer Hose Company became certified as a
corporation in 1914; the charter members and the residents of the Hamlet
known as West Valley owned only a two-wheeled hose cart housed in a
private garage; the group called themselves the Fire Company, but they
soon came to be known officially as a "Hose Company," named after their
only piece of firefighting equipment, a hose cart; and
WHEREAS, West Valley's hose cart carried only a few hundred feet of
canvas hose and a nozzle; water was supplied by a lengthy system of
underground wooden pipes and cast-iron fire hydrants installed by a
publicly owned company called the West Valley Crystal Water Company;
fire protection was provided for the village by the "fire district" and
the rest of the Town of Ashford by the "fire protection district"; and
WHEREAS, The first home of the West Valley Volunteer Hose Company was
in the building now known as a portion of the West Valley Market; it
housed two narrow truck bays, a small kitchen downstairs, a meeting
room, storage closet, and a billiards table upstairs; and
WHEREAS, In addition to the hose cart and another truck, a 1930s
"stewart" pumper/tanker, was eventually purchased; the 1930s "stewart"
featured an open cab, leather seats, a hand-cranked siren, a 250-gallon
water tank, 500 feet of 2 1/2-inch canvas hose, a mid-ship mounting
centrifugal pump, a hand-cranked six-cylinder engine with manual
ignition control, and a large amount of gold-leaf lettering; and
WHEREAS, A 1937 Chevrolet panel truck joined the fleet prior to World
War II; it featured a 100-gallon water tank and space in the back for
six firemen; it also served as an ambulance for accident victims; and
WHEREAS, Following World War II, two Army-surplus vehicles were
purchased; the first was a dual-wheel 1940 Chevrolet truck chassis which
was outfitted with a 500-gallon tank, pump, and hose compartments; the
second was a military fire truck with a 500-gallon water tank and a
front-mount centrifugal pump; they also added a four-wheel drive pickup
in 1962 which included a water tank, pump, ladders, hose reel, and
"Indian" pumps; and
WHEREAS, The West Valley Volunteer Hose Company then purchased the
former Baptist Church and "Odd Fellows" hall in the middle of the
village; a new three-bay truck room addition was built behind the hall;
the new hall was completed in the late 1970s by volunteers who had drawn
its plans on the back of two placemats from the West Valley Hotel; and
WHEREAS, In the early 1980s, a new 3,500-gallon tanker was added to
the fleet through the generosity of A&D Engels, Inc.; fire protection
and Emergency Medical Services for the new West Valley Fire District,
which by then covered the entire Town of Ashford, was enhanced by a new
1986 Braun ambulance, a huge new AutoCar, a used ladder truck from Sala-
manca, and a snorkel from Ellicottville; the members also got involved

with fire truck restoration by refurbishing and placing back in local
service old equipment purchased from other Western New York fire depart-
ments; and
WHEREAS, During the 1990s, the local fire hall was sold to the Town of
Ashford for its new Community Center; proceeds were used to buy land and
build a new fire hall and a large storage building south of West Valley;
at the same time, land was obtained for another fire hall on Route 219
in Ashford Hollow; both of these new facilities, built in 1995 and 1996
with local labor, feature the most up to date 911 fire alarm and commu-
nication technology available today; and
WHEREAS, Their active members, with a focus on community service,
provide vital services to their beloved community; the volunteers who
dedicate their time to the Hose Company are the first to respond to
fires, accidents, storm damage, ambulance calls, and other emergencies;
WHEREAS, It takes special people who are devoted to helping their
fellow human beings in times of extreme need; and
WHEREAS, It is the intent of this Legislative Body to publicly recog-
nize distinguished fire companies that have achieved notable success in
protecting lives and property over the course of their long histories in
this great Empire State; now, therefore, be it
RESOLVED, That this Legislative Body pause in its deliberations to
commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the West Valley Volunteer Hose
Company; and be it further
RESOLVED, That a copy of this Resolution, suitably engrossed, be tran-
smitted to West Valley Volunteer Hose Company.


Open Legislation comments facilitate discussion of New York State legislation. All comments are subject to moderation. Comments deemed off-topic, commercial, campaign-related, self-promotional; or that contain profanity or hate speech; or that link to sites outside of the nysenate.gov domain are not permitted, and will not be published. Comment moderation is generally performed Monday through Friday.

By contributing or voting you agree to the Terms of Participation and verify you are over 13.