Aubertine: State Education Department to Award more than $400,000 to North Country Library System Libraries
The funding will go to eight libraries, including six in the 48th Senate District, for projects ranging from the reconstruction of parking lots at the Central Square Library in Oswego County, to roof and chimney repairs at the Ogdensburg Public Library in St. Lawrence County, to extensive renovations at the Carthage Free Library in Jefferson County.
“This is great news for our communities to see more than $415,000 brought into the North Country Library System,” Sen. Aubertine said. “These are certainly worthy projects and I want to thank the state Education Department and library system for recognizing the merit of these projects in awarding this funding. Libraries remain an essential resource in our communities and I will continue working to protect funding where we can to ensure these types of quality investments continue.”
The grant funds are from $14 million in capital funds for public library construction provided through the 2009 State Budget. The funding, which will be formally announced by the state Education Department next week, will be awarded to the following libraries:
· $5,450 for William H. Bush Memorial Library, Martinsburg, to reconstruct a parking lot.
· $5,456 for Central Square Library, Central Square, to reconstruct a parking lot.
· $7,272 for Canton Free Library-Morley Branch, to replace the roof, eight windows and front door.
· $8,175 for Parish Public Library, Parish, to replace and expand parking lot and driveway.
· $13,750 for Potsdam Public Library, Potsdam, to replace flat portion of roof.
· $20,888 for Bodman Memorial Library, Philadelphia, to construct an ADA compliant ramp; reconstruct existing space for an accessible bathroom, larger children’s area and new teen area; install a new door for accessible entryway; purchase furniture and new equipment for new space.
· $43,800 Ogdensburg Public Library, Ogdensburg, to replace and reconstruct roof and rehabilitate two chimneys.
· $311,472 for Carthage Free Library, Carthage, to renovate and create accessibility with a new ramp, elevated lift, and two accessible bathrooms; improve energy efficiency with new HVAC system and sealed window; build new space for computer lab, large community room, and expanded work area; construct 1,100 square foot addition; and purchase new equipment.
Project activities and expenditures eligible for grants from the Public Library Construction Grant Program include financing construction of new library buildings, construction of additions to existing buildings, and the renovation and/or rehabilitation of existing space, including roof replacement, purchase and installation of alternative energy resources and new HVAC systems, windows, doors, and lighting systems, electrical upgrades, and construction of new or replacement of old walkways and parking lots, among other things. New furniture, shelving and equipment, including computer equipment, can be purchased for new or newly reconfigured or renovated space. Renovations designed to provide accessibility for patrons with disabilities is a high priority.