Elevator Constructors Recruiting Apprentices
The International Union of Elevator Constructors JATC Local #1 will conduct a recruitment from June 3, 2013 through June 14, 2013 for 50 Elevator-Escalator Constructor and Modernizer apprentices, State Labor Commissioner Peter M. Rivera announced today.
Applications must be obtained and submitted in person at the Local #1 Union Hall, 47-24 27th St., Long Island City, NY, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Monday through Friday during the recruitment period. All applicants must provide a photo I.D. and high school diploma (or GED) to receive an application. Only original applications, completed in person, will be accepted. Applications that are incomplete or illegible will not be considered.
Applicants must take and pass the Elevator Industry Aptitude Test (administered by the National Elevator Industry Educational Program) with a minimum score of 70. The test was developed and validated by Performance Associates of Memphis, TN. A testing fee of $25 must be paid at the time of testing. The fee must be in the form of a money order or bank check (no cash or personal checks will be accepted). Please note, applicants may request the testing fee be waived. Fee waivers will be approved upon showing verifiable proof of financial need.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old - proof required at time of application.
- Must be a high school graduate or have a General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.) - proof required at time of application.
- Must pass a post-offer physical, administered by a physician, at the expense of the signatory contractor.
- Must attest to being capable of performing the physical requirements of the trade (also determined by the post-offer physical), which include:
- lifting up to 100 pounds 75% of the time
- climbing ladders, stairs, and scaffolds
- walking or standing 90% of the time and sitting approximately 10% of the time
- performing repetitive stooping, bending, and crouching approximately 70% of the time
- working from various heights, up to and including high rises (1,000+ ft.)
- Must have reliable transportation to and from different job sites and related instruction.
- Must pass a post-offer drug test, administered by a laboratory, at the expense of the signatory contractor.
- Must provide military transfer card or discharge form DD-214 - if applicable.
- Must participate in an interview, if eligible.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Local Union #1 at (718) 707-9450.
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet standards established by the Commissioner. Under state law, sponsors of programs cannot discriminate against applicants because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to submit applications for apprenticeship programs. Sponsors of programs are required to adopt affirmative action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.