As Hurricane Sandy Approaches...
Follow these tips from New York State as the hurricane/coastal storm approaches:
- If you are traveling, find safe shelter immediately.
- If you are at home or at work:
- Only stay in a home if you have NOT been ordered to leave. Stay inside a well constructed building.
- In structures, such as a home, examine the building and plan in advance what you will do if winds become strong. Strong winds can produce deadly missiles and structural failure.
- Turn refrigerator to maximum cold and open only when necessary.
- Turn off utilities if told to do so by authorities.
- Turn off propane tanks.
- Unplug major appliances.
- Fill large containers with water.
- If winds become strong:
- Stay away from windows and doors even if they are covered. Take refuge in a small interior room, closet or hallway.
- Close all interior doors. Secure and brace external doors.
- If you are in a two-story house, go to an interior first-floor room, such as a bathroom or closet.
- If you are in a multiple-story building and away from the water, go to the first or second floors and take refuge in the halls or other interior rooms away from the windows.
- Lie on the floor under a table or another sturdy object.
- Remain indoors during the hurricane. Do not be fooled by the "eye" or the lull that occurs as the storm center moves overhead. The other side of the hurricane "eye" has winds that will rapidly increase and will come from the opposite direction.
For more information, visit the Division of Homeland Security at http://www.dhses.ny.gov/oem/event/hurricane-safety.cfm.