New York Immigration Coalition & FPA Announce 2013 DREAM Fellowship Program
The New York Immigration Coalition, in partnership with the Fund for Public Advocacy, announced its acceptance of applications for the 2013 DREAM Fellowship Program, a semester-long leadership development program.
The Dream Fellowship Program is a semester-long leadership development program, initiated jointly by the New York Immigration Coalition and the Fund for Public Advocacy. In its first semester in the Spring of 2012, ten college-level DREAM Act eligible student leaders were selected for the fellowship, which included leadership development trainings, internships at community organizations and $2,000 scholarships toward tuition at City University of New York. The Korean American Community Foundation also provided supported for the program.
The application is attached in a pdf format. It is also available at http://www.thenyic.org/DREAMFellowship2013.
The leading impetus for the Fellowship was a vibrant and growing immigrant youth movement. With almost no paid staff, no lobbyists, and few financial resources, undocumented immigrant youth and immigrant communities galvanized a historical movement for passage of the DREAM Act. In the aftermath of Congress’s failure to act, a new sense of urgency emerged. However, DREAMers faced the challenge of continuing to fight for their rights, while still excluded from most of the educational, financial and leadership opportunities their peers had, simply because of their immigration status. To address this disparity, recognizing the tremendous talent and leadership potential of these young people, the NYIC and the Fund for Public Advocacy created the DREAM Fellowship, a program that combines financial assistance with leadership training and hands-on field work.
For more information on the DREAM Fellowship, please contact us at 212-627-2227 x221 or at DreamFellowship@thenyic.org. The DEADLINE to apply for the DREAM Fellowship 2013 is Monday, November 19th, 2012. Applications received after this date will not be considered. You can also submit completed applications by mail to: The New York Immigration Coalition, 137-139 West 25th Street, 12th Floor, New York, NY 10001. Or by email to DreamFellowship@thenyic.org.
Goals of the 2013 Dream Fellowship
- To provide financial scholarships to a diverse group of immigrant students to pursue their educational goals;
- To foster Fellows’ leadership by providing intensive leadership development training and numerous on-the-ground opportunities to assume leadership roles (in advocacy events, press conferences, and in service project that directly serves DREAMers who qualify for Deferred Action);
- To empower the Fellows to help their communities and learn valuable professional experience though the internships provided; and,
- To add significant capacity to the current community response to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program by deploying ten Fellows to become part of the citywide legal services and outreach campaign.
Qualifications to Apply for the 2013 DREAM Fellowship
- Must be enrolled as an undergraduate in an accredited City University of New York (CUNY) college;
- Must be a college-level DREAM Act eligible student;
- Must demonstrate excellent or outstanding potential in academic achievement;
- Must have a passion for community service;
- Must have leadership experience;
- Must demonstrate financial need; and,
- Must be able to commit to a once a month leadership development training at the NYIC and an internship commitment of one day a week for the duration of the fellowship.