RITCHIE PARTNERING WITH RADIO HOST, AMERICAN RED CROSS FOR ‘HOLIDAY MAIL FOR HEROES’
Asks Public To Donate Christmas Cards For Troops
State Senator Patty Ritchie is partnering with Ogdensburg native and radio personality Melody Burns to urge the public to support the “Holiday Mail for Heroes” program sponsored by the American Red Cross.
“Each year, the American Red Cross collects tens of thousands of holiday cards to distribute to our service members at military installations, veterans hospitals and other locations,” Senator Ritchie said. “By sending them these holiday greetings, we let them know that we truly appreciate their service and their sacrifice.”
“I want to thank Melody for working with me to make sure our heroes, like the members of the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum, are remembered during this holiday season.”
“During the holidays, it’s very important that we remember our nation’s heroes who sacrifice so much to protect our nation and our liberties,” said Burns, who hosts a daily radio show on Talk 1300 AM WGDJ in Albany.
“I have been promoting this Holiday Mail for Heroes program on my radio show in Albany. Last year I collected 1,000 cards. I am very pleased to partner with Senator Ritchie to reach families across Northern and Central New York.”
Senator Ritchie will be collecting holiday cards at her offices in Ogdenburg, Watertown and Oswego before forwarding them to the ‘Holiday Mail for Heroes’ program. She is also encouraging civic clubs, fraternal organizations and veterans groups to collect cards and send them to one of her offices.
To participate in the program:
· All cards must be signed.
· Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.” Cards addressed to specific individuals cannot be delivered through this program.
· Only cards are being accepted. Do not include envelopes. Do not send letters.
· Do not include email or home addresses on the cards: the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
· Do not include inserts of any kind, including photos: these items will be removed during the reviewing process.
· Please refrain from choosing cards with glitter or using loose glitter as it can aggravate health issues of ill and injured warriors.
· If you are mailing a large quantity of cards, please bundle them and place them in large mailing envelopes or flat rate postal shipping boxes. Each card does not need its own envelope, as envelopes will be removed from all cards before distribution.
Cards can be sent to me at one of my District Offices:
330 Ford St., Ogdensburg, NY 13669
317 Washington St., Watertown, NY 13601
46 East Bridge Street, 1st Floor, Oswego, NY 13126
The deadline is December 1st. Holiday cards received after this date cannot be guaranteed delivery.