SENATOR ANDREA STEWART-COUSINS ANNOUNCES TRANSPORTATION GRANT OPPORTUNITIES FOR NON PROFITS; Federal Transit Administration Grant Program Application and Workshops Available

 

State Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins (D/WF – 35th District) announced today that the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) has released the Section 5310 Grant Program application and workshop schedule. Section 5310 Program assists for not-for-profit organizations in the purchase of vehicles to meet the transportation needs of elderly individuals and persons with disabilities.


Applications for the program can be obtained from the NYSDOT website at:  www.nysdot.gov/public-transportation, click on the link “Federal Transit Funding Programs”, to the “Section 5310 Elderly and Disabled Program” site.  Applications can also be obtained by calling (518) 457-8335.  A workshop for applicants is scheduled for March 22, 2010 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. at the Westchester County Center, 198 Central Avenue, While Plains. 


“This is welcome news for community organizations who provide valuable services to our most vulnerable citizens, often on a bare bones budget,” stated Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins. 


Senator Stewart-Cousins said that through the NYSDOT and FTA Section 5310 Program, funds are used to purchase buses for not-for-profit organizations throughout the State of New York that provide transportation services to the elderly and disabled.  The program provides 80% of the vehicle purchase cost with the remaining 20% provided by the applicant organization as the local match.  This is a capital only program, therefore, recipients are responsible for 100% of the ongoing operating expenses, including insurance costs.


“I strongly encourage any non-profit community organization that provides transportation services for elderly and disabled citizens to apply for this grant and attend the workshop,” concluded Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins.