Senator Carlucci, Rockland Community College Announce Second Annual Senior Fair for Rockland Residents
“Speakers Series” will Offer Expert Advice Into Health Care, Consumer Protection
Senator David Carlucci (D-Rockland/Westchester) and Dr. Cliff L. Wood, President of Rockland Community College, today announced that they will be hosting a Second Annual Senior Fair. The event, which initially took place nearly one year ago today, drew an overwhelming turnout of retirees and elderly residents, many of whom were offered an opportunity to discover services and programs available to them in their own backyards. Event organizers have worked diligently to build upon these successes and transform this event into even more of an interactive venue for educational purposes, including an expansion of new types of services and outreach.
The event will be held on Thursday, September 12th from 10:00am - 2:00pm at Rockland Community College, 145 College Road, Suffern. It will be held inside the Eugene Levy Fieldhouse, with a press conference scheduled to begin at 10:30am.
The Senior Fair is a unique opportunity for senior citizens to learn about new opportunities related to healthcare services, recreational and educational programming, non-profit assistance, financial services, and more. Last year, over 80 vendors participated, and this year even more are expected to show. These include familiar names such as:
- Community Services: New City Library, Clarkstown Parks and Recreation, Library Assocation of Rockland County
- Healthcare: Nyack Hospital, A&T Healthcare, LLC, Interim Healthcare, Fidelis Care
- Senior Service: Meals on Wheels, RSVP of Rockland
- Homecare/Health Aids: Sunshine Homecare, Home Aids of Rockland, Inc.
- Financial: Genworth Financial Long Term Care Division
Senator David Carlucci said: “We continue to work tirelessly to provide residents, particularly in suburban areas of the state, the chance to be better accustomed with a wealth of services and programs available to them to ensure a better quality of life. Whether it is staying fit and eating well or being cognizant of their financial resources, a Senior Fair is a great way to gather all stakeholders in our community together to foster dialogue and get people more involved with their community.”
Dr. Cliff L. Wood, President of Rockland Community College said: "Senior citizens are an important segment of our community, and RCC is committed to meeting their needs and interests. We are happy to host this informative and important event to benefit seniors and their families."
Studies have consistently shown that friendships, socialization and an active lifestyle are vital for the health and well-being of people as they grow older. This event is a chance for seniors to continue aging-in-place while taking advantage of the community-based services that make independent living possible.
In addition, this event will feature a newly established “Speakers Series.” This is a chance for attendees to hear from medical, healthcare, and legal experts throughout the course of the fair.
This year’s speakers will include:
- 11:00 AM -- Rockland County District Attorney Thomas Zugibe -- The discussion will focus on how senior citizens can educate, inform, and protect themselves from fraudulent and illegal scams, including a brief overview into how the Office of the Rockland County District Attorney is fighting to ensure consumer protection.
- 12:00 PM -- Dr. Nunzio Pomara, M.D.: Psychiatrist, The Pearl Barlow Center for Memory Evaluation and Treatment -- The discussion will focus on the human body and the aging process. Dr. Pomara specializes in the diagnosis and management of age associated memory problems, mild cognitive impairment, Alzheimer's disease, and other neurodegenerative disorders resulting in cognitive impairment.
· 1:00 PM -- Dr. Donald C. Goff, M.D., Director of Nathan Kline Institute -- The discussion will focus on the latest research involving the “NKI-Rockland Sample” and efforts to study Alzheimer’s Disease, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Traumatic Brain Injury.
For more information about the event or to RSVP, please contact Senator Carlucci’s office at (845) 623-3627.
# # #