Senator Fuschillo Informs Residents About New "Hurricane" App
With Long Island in the middle of Hurricane Season, Senator Fuschillo is informing residents about a new, easy-to-use mobile "Hurricane Tracker App" that's been developed by the American Red Cross.
The app, which is iPhone and Android compatible, includes features such as: the setting of weather alerts; wind speed updates; the location of nearby shelters and emergency services; and information to help residents prepare a family emergency plan.
According to the Red Cross, the app also includes:
- One touch “I’m safe” messaging that allows users to broadcast reassurance to family and friends via social media outlets that they are out of harm’s way
- Location-based NOAA weather alerts for the United States and its territories users can share on social networks
- Remote monitoring of personalized weather alerts where family and friends reside
- Locations of open Red Cross shelters
- Simple steps and checklists people can use to create a family emergency plan
- Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps even without mobile connectivity
- Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm
- Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks
Residents can download the app by calling "**REDCROSS" (**73327677) from their smart phone, after which they will be sent a link to download the hurricane tracking app. The app can also be downloaded from the iTunes or Google Play app stores.