SENATOR FUSCHILLO REMINDS NASSAU COUNTY RESIDENTS TO APPLY FOR PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTIONS BEFORE JANUARY 2ND
Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr. (R-Merrick) is reminding all Nassau County residents that the deadline to file applications for property tax exemptions, including the New York State School Tax Relief (STAR) program, is January 2, 2012.
"New York State’s STAR program, as well as other tax exemptions offered by Nassau County, can help eligible homeowners save money on their property taxes. If you haven’t already applied for STAR or other property tax exemptions for which you might be eligible, be sure to do so by the January 2nd deadline,” said Senator Fuschillo.
The STAR program works in two parts:
- Basic STAR is available to all New Yorkers who own and live in their own home, condominium, or cooperative apartment whose adjusted gross income does not exceed $500,000, regardless of age.
- Enhanced STAR is available to senior citizen property owners whose adjusted gross income is under $79,050 and who will be age 65 or older by December 31, 2012. If the property is owned by a husband and wife, or by siblings, only one of them must be at least 65 years old to qualify for this exemption.
Residents who already receive the Basic STAR exemption or who participate in the Enhanced STAR Income Verification Program do not need to re-file.
Residents who moved to a new house and had the STAR exemption at their previous address need to file a new application. The STAR exemption is not automatically transferred to a new address.
In addition, Nassau County also offers other property tax exemptions, including:
* Senior citizens
* Cold War veterans
* Volunteer firefighters or ambulance service workers
* Persons with disabilities & limited incomes
* First-time homebuyers of newly constructed homes
Residents who need additional information about any of these exemptions, or who need applications, can contact the Nassau County Department of Assessment at 516-571-1500 or click here. The application filing deadline is January 2, 2012.