SENATOR FUSCHILLO REMINDS TOWN OF BABYLON RESIDENTS DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR STAR & OTHER PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTIONS IS MARCH 1ST
Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr. (R-Merrick) is reminding all Town of Babylon residents that the deadline to apply for New York State’s School Tax Relief (STAR) program and other property tax exemptions is March 1st.
"New York State’s STAR program provides homeowners with hundreds of dollars in school tax savings,” said Senator Fuschillo. “All homeowners are eligible to receive savings through the STAR program, and I urge anyone who has not already signed up for this program to take advantage of these valuable school property tax savings.”
The STAR program works in two parts:
- Basic STAR is available to all New Yorkers who own and live in their own home, condominium, or cooperative apartment, regardless of income level or age.
- Enhanced STAR is available to senior citizen property owners whose federal adjusted gross income is under $74,700 and who will be age 65 or older by December 31, 2010. If the property is owned by a husband and wife, or by siblings, only one of them must be at least 65 years old to qualify for this exemption.
Residents who already receive the Basic STAR exemption or who participate in the Enhanced STAR Income Verification Program do not need to re-file.
Residents who moved to a new house and had the STAR exemption at their previous address need to file a new application. The STAR exemption is not automatically transferred to a new address.
In addition, the Town of Babylon also offers other property tax exemptions, including:
*Senior citizens exemption
* Veterans exemption
* Cold War Veterans exemption
* First-time homebuyer exemption
* Volunteer firefighter or ambulance service worker exemption
* Person with disabilities & limited income exemption
* Capital improvement exemption
Residents who need additional information or applications for the Basic or Enhanced STAR program can call Senator Fuschillo’s office at 516-882-0630 or click here. STAR applications and information about the other property tax exemptions can also be obtained by contacting the Town of Babylon’s Department of Assessment at 631-957-3014.
The deadline to apply for these property tax exemptions is March 1, 2010.