Senator Nozzolio to Serve on New Racing Task Force
SENATOR NOZZOLIO TO SERVE ON NEW RACING TASK FORCE
New York State Senator Mike Nozzolio today announced that he has been asked to serve on the new Senate Republican Task Force on the Revitalization of the Racing Industry in New York. As a member of the Task Force, Senator Nozzolio will work to develop long term solutions to retain jobs in the racing industry and generate more revenue through racing to benefit the taxpayers of the Finger Lakes Region.
“The entire horse racing industry, from the many farms to the Finger Lakes Racetrack, plays an important role in our area's economy. Hundreds of local residents are employed there and the facility brings over a million visitors to the Finger Lakes every year. It also generates millions of dollars in revenue to support our property taxpayers. I look forward to working with the task force to strengthen our racing industry, encourage job creation and retention, and ensure long-term stability at our racing facilities,” said Senator Nozzolio. “The task force will gather input from individuals involved with racing at every level and develop policies that offer the best solution for the racing industry and for property taxpayers across New York State.”
The task force will convene several public hearings to examine all aspects of New York’s racing industry, including the following issues:
· Reforming the outdated payment structure of OTB and the New York Racing Association;
· Regulation of out-of-state wagering;
· Retaining jobs for horsemen, breeders and racetrack employees;
· Making New York racing more competitive with other states;
· Modernizing the industry while preserving the important historical relevance of New York racing; and
· Supporting our local horse farms, which create jobs and put millions back into the local economy.
The task force will report back to the Senate Racing and Wagering Committee on its recommendations.