Senator Thompson Honors Soldier Through Higher Education Scholarship. "Remembering Private David Evans, Jr."
Buffalo, NY – New York State Antoine Thompson (D-parts of Erie & Niagara Counties) hands out scholarships to eight deserving students. The Private David Evans, Jr. Courage Scholarship Award program was held Friday, June 11 at the Frank E. Meriwether Jr. Library in Buffalo.
The scholarship is named in honor of Private Evans, who was killed while serving in the Iraq War in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Private Evans was just eighteen years old.
In 2003, Evans interned in Thompson’s Common Council office. The Senator says this is a great way to keep Evans’ memory alive. “David was always a very optimistic young man who wanted to make a difference in the world. I believe this scholarship, which is named in his honor, will help other students pick up where David left off.”
The following is a list of the scholarship recipients, the high school they’re graduating from and the college they’re attending in the fall.
• Tela Bridges, WNY Maritime Charter School of Buffalo, NCCC.
• Ashley Brown, City Honors High School in Buffalo, Rochester Institute of Technology.
• Holly Granat, Niagara Falls High School, SUNY Oswego.
• Christopher Munn, WNY Maritime Charter School of Buffalo, Tuskegee University.
• Miranda Papp, Tonawanda High School, Brockport SUC.
• Crystal Prince, Hutchinson Central Technical High School in Buffalo, Clark Atlanta University.
• Bria Thompson, South Park High School of Buffalo, Spelman College.
• Kelly Tian, City Honors High School of Buffalo, University of Chicago.