STORM PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION
The current track of Hurricane Earl has resulted in a tropical storm watch for Nassau County and a tropical storm warning for Suffolk County.
Here are some preparations you may want to take in case heavy rains and wind affect our area:
* Make sure flashlights and radios have batteries. Have extra batteries on hand as well.
* Make sure your car has gas. Gas pumps may not operate if power goes down.
* Have cash on hand. ATMs and credit or debit card machines may not be functioning if power is lost.
* Have a three day supply of water and non-perishable, easy to prepare food (1 gallon of water per person, per day)
* Have copies of important papers readily available, such as your insurance policies.
* Have a camera to take pictures of any damage.
* Store or secure outside items such as patio furniture or chairs, to keep them from blowing away and causing damage.
IMPORTANT PHONE NUMBERS (PRINT OUT AND KEEP HANDY)
* Nassau County Red Cross: 516-747-3500
* Nassau County Office of Emergency Management: 516-573-0636
* Suffolk County Red Cross: 631-924-6700, 631-924-6911 (24 hour emergency number)
* Suffolk County Office of Emergency Management: 631-852-4900
* LIPA: 1-800-490-0075 (to report downed power lines or electrical emergency)
* National Grid: 1-800-490-0045 (emergency gas safety service)
* Freeport Electric: 516-378-0146 (emergency)