In recognition of his efforts to support job growth, cut taxes and spending and remove unnecessary regulations that impede job development, State Senator Mike Nozzolio has been named one of the top “Pro Jobs Supporters” in the State Legislature by the Business Council of New York State as part of their 2011 Voters’ Guide.
“New York’s private sector business owners, job creators and entrepreneurs are the engine for economic growth in our State,” said Senator Nozzolio. “This year, I was pleased to work closely with Governor Cuomo and my colleagues in the State Senate to take bold and decisive action to get New York State moving the in the right direction again and create a favorable environment for job-producing businesses to grow. It is an honor to receive this recognition from the Business Council and I am more determined than ever to fight to grow jobs, enhance independent business, and revitalize the Upstate New York economy.”
Senator Nozzolio was recognized by the Business Council for working to adopt a number of pro-job growth measures and reforms which, taken together, represent one of the boldest private sector job creation packages ever enacted in New York State. These important steps to create a stronger, more prosperous economy for all New Yorkers include:
· Responsible, Pro-Job Growth State Budget- The budget closed a $10 billion deficit with NO new taxes or fees and NO borrowing, and will empower the private sector to once again create new, well paying jobs. The budget also allowed burdensome taxes imposed over the past few years to expire, including a multi-billion dollar income tax that hurt thousands of small businesses.
· Property Tax Cap- For too long, job-creating businesses have been driven out of State by New York’s out-of-control property taxes. The new property tax cap, which will limit property tax increases to 2 percent or less, is one of the strongest in the Nation.
· Medicaid Reform- Senator Nozzolio and his Senate colleagues successfully fought to reduce Medicaid spending by $2.8 billion, put a cap on future Medicaid expenditures and took the first steps to create a program that taxpayers can afford.
· Recharge NY- A permanent program to reduce energy costs and taxes for small businesses and manufacturers so they can start to hire again.
· Enhanced the Excelsior Jobs Program to include expanded tax credits for the creation of new private sector jobs.
“These job creation initiatives have set the groundwork for New York State to be competitive once again and will encourage private sector businesses to invest and create jobs here. Now, we must build on this success and take the next steps to turn our State around,” Senator Nozzolio said. “I look forward to working with the Business Council and job-creating businesses throughout Upstate New York to create a better future for our young people, friends and communities.”