Katharine “Kay” Tomasi of Salem, has channeled her lifelong love of history into community service to enrich the lives of others and future generations.
Ms. Tomasi earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in history from St. Lawrence University and a Master of Arts degree in history from Central Michigan University. She taught history in secondary schools for several years before settling in Salem.
Bringing her great interest in history with her, Ms. Tomasi has served numerous organizations devoted to the preservation of the area’s heritage, including the Washington County Historical Society, the Historic Salem Courthouse Preservation Association, Inc., and the Saratoga-Capital District Region of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
Ms. Tomasi is the published author of The Village of Salem 1761-1994, a 470-page illustrated history, and Journey of Faith – The Old White Church, a 50-page history celebrating the bicentennial of Salem’s First United Presbyterian Church. In 2006, Ms. Tomasi was named to the then newly formed Historic Saratoga-Washington County on the Hudson Partnership.
Besides working to preserve the area’s past, Ms. Tomasi has served her community’s present in many ways. She volunteers for many organizations, including her church, the former Mary McClellan Hospital, the Meikleknox Retirement Home, Washington County Women’s Club Bancroft Library, and the Salem Area Chamber of Commerce, often serving as a chair or office holder.
Ms. Tomasi is also a longtime member of the Salem Women’s Club, and has served as treasurer of its foundation’s scholarship committee for over 25 years. She also helped organize Woman’s Health Day, which, in conjunction with Glens Falls Hospital, raises funds for area charities while increasing awareness of women’s health issues.