What is NYC Rapid Repairs?
NYC Rapid Repairs is a FREE program to help residential property owners affected by Hurricane Sandy make emergency repairs. These emergency repairs will allow residents to stay in their homes so that they can complete more permanent repairs and finishes. Emergency repairs include permanent or temporary restoration of heat, power and hot water, and other limited repairs to protect a home from further significant damage. A homeowner must first register for NYC Rapid Repairs. The City will then schedule an appointment for a qualified NYC Rapid Repairs Team to make certain repairs for all eligible homeowners.
Who is eligible for NYC Rapid Repairs?
- You must be a residential property owner within the five boroughs of NYC.
- If you own a single or two-family home, you must have a FEMA number. To obtain a FEMA number, visit a NYC Restoration Center or www.fema.gov , or call FEMA at 1-800-621-3362. If you own a multi-family building, you do not need a FEMA number to register with NYC Rapid Repairs.
- Your home must be deemed structurally safe by the NYC Department of Buildings as denoted by a Yellow or Green placard on your door, or no placard at all. If you have a Red placard you can still register with NYC Rapid Repairs, but you will need to make any necessary repairs to transition to a Yellow or Green placard before a NYC Rapid Repairs Team can safely enter your home. Call 311 or visit www.nyc.gov/buildings  for more information on Red placards.
- Your home must be free of standing water to allow for a safe inspection. If you have standing water in your home, register with NYC Rapid Repairs. The City will dewater your home prior to scheduling an appointment with a NYC Rapid Repairs Team.
- If you are a renter with unsafe conditions in your home or apartment, call 311.
How does NYC Rapid Repairs work?
Your path to rapid repairs:
1. Register with NYC Rapid Repairs at www.NYC.gov , or call 311, or visit a NYC Restoration Center.
2. A NYC Rapid Repairs representative will contact you to schedule an appointment for a NYC Rapid Repairs Team to visit your home.
3. The NYC Rapid Repairs Team will inspect your home for damages and complete a “work order” for all necessary work covered under NYC Rapid Repairs.
4. The homeowner must then decide whether or not to proceed with any or all work. If the homeowner chooses, the NYC Rapid Repairs Team may begin the process to repair your home. A homeowner can choose to stop the work and terminate the NYC Rapid Repairs Team at any time.
5. When the NYC Rapid Repairs Team finishes emergency repairs, a homeowner may need to contact other qualified professionals to complete permanent repairs and finishes.
How do I register for NYC Rapid Repairs?
To register for NYC Rapid Repairs go to www.NYC.gov , or call 311, or visit a NYC Restoration Center. These are the ONLY ways to register for NYC Rapid Repairs! NYC Rapid Repairs is a FREE program – do not register with anyone who says they can register you for a fee. Report any suspected fraud to 311.