Program Assists With Purchase of Vehicles to Transport the Elderly and Disabled
Senator Kenneth P. LaValle has been advised that the New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) has released the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 Grant Program. This program provides assistance in the purchase of vehicles used to meet the transportation needs of elderly individuals and individuals with disabilities.
According to Senator LaValle, the NYSDOT will administer the funds for the purchase of buses at 80 percent of the vehicle cost with the remaining 20 percent provided by the non-profit organization as the local match. Section 5310 is a capital-only program. Recipients will be responsible for 100 percent of their ongoing operating costs for the buses they purchase through this grant program. The following are eligible to apply under the 5310 grant program:
*Not-for-profit organizations that serve elderly or disabled individuals;
*Public bodies (i.e. municipalities, county level governments) in rural counties that are approved by the state to coordinate services for elderly or disabled individuals;
*Public bodies in rural counties that certify that no not-for-profit organizations are available in the area to provide these services.
Applications are due by May 4, 2010. Applicants are encouraged to download the application from the NYSDOT web site at www.nysdot.gov/public-transportation . You may also call the office at 1-518-457-8335 for applications and information on the grant program.