Newsletter and Resources: What Federal Health Care Reform Means for New Yorkers
I know how confusing healthcare and insurance issues can be, and with reforms from the federal government’s 2010 Affordable Care Act (ACA) rolling out, things may be even more complicated as we “kick the tires” on this new system. I recently circulated a newsletter (also linked below), to provide an overview of ACA benefits including New York’s new Health Plan Marketplace and answers to some of the main questions my office has received.
In addition, I held a community forum in October with over 200 attendees to discuss New York’s Health Plan Marketplace. You can find links to the presentations our three speakers gave at the bottom of this page.
A few things to remember:
- First Deadline to Apply for a Marketplace Plan: Dec. 23rd, 2013.
- Individuals must apply by Dec. 23rd for coverage effective Jan. 1st (this was extended from Dec. 15).
- Apply by the 15th of any month for coverage effective the 1st of the following month.
- Open enrollment for 2014 ends on March 31, 2014.
- Help is Available! You can meet in person with a navigator or broker who is trained and certified to help you understand your options and enroll in a plan. These services are free for you.