Organ Donor Information
More than 10,000 New Yorkers are on waiting lists as the need for organ donations far exceeds the supply. One person who donates organs (hearts, lungs, liver, kidneys, pancreas and intestines) can save up to eight lives, while a tissue donor (corneas, bone, skin, heart valves, tendons, veins, etc.) can improve 12 or more lives by restoring eyesight, helping fight infections in burn patients and preventing the loss of mobility and disability.
Assemblyman James Conte led the fight, along with Senator David Carlucci and Assemblyman Felix Ortiz, to pass Lauren’s Law last June. Their successful effort will help increase the number of new drivers who become organ donors by changing the language on Department of Motor Vehicles applications so that applicants must complete the organ donor registry section. By requiring each person to check a box for “yes” or “skip this question”, the law will help increase the number of people who register with New York State’s Donate Life Registry and help save lives.
The legislation was named after Lauren Shields, a 12-year old heart transplant recipient. The new law is now in effect in New York State.
Please click here to read more about this new law.
Please click here to access this legislation: http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/A10039B-2011
If you would like to donate, please click here for information from New York Organ Donor Network
- COMPLETE AN ONLINE ENROLLMENT FORM ON THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH'S DONATE LIFE NEW YORK WEB SITE by clicking here. You will still need to download a consent form at the end of the registration process. Please print, sign and return the form to ensure your registration is confirmed and completed to make sure your registration is effective.
- ENROLL BY MAILING A PRINTABLE FORM: Download the printable Donate Life Registration Enrollment Form by clicking here and mail it to the NYS Department of Health for enrollment.
- ENROLL AT THE BOARD OF ELECTIONS: When registering at the Board of Elections, complete and sign page 3 “Register to donate your organs and tissue”of the voter registration form. That page of the form will be forwarded to the NYS Department of Health for enrollment in the Donate Life Registry.
- ENROLL ON-LINE THROUGH THE NYS DMV: If you have a driver license or non-driver identification card, you can create a MyDMV account at the DMV web site which will allow you to enroll electronically in the Donate Life Registry. Please note that enrolling through this method will NOT result in a new driver license or non-driver identification card with a red heart symbol and the words ORGAN DONOR.
- ENROLL AT THE DMV: Sign the organ donor consent certification on the forms used to apply or renew a driver license or non-driver identification card. When you enroll through this method, a symbol of a red heart and the words "Organ Donor" will be printed on the front of your driver license or non-driver identification card at no extra cost.
For more information, call an organ procurement organization or the New York State Organ and Tissue Donor Registry at 1-866-NYDONOR (1-866-693-6667).