The only way to protect all New Yorkers from the financial and health risks associated with the chemical concoction used in the hydraulic fracturing process is to enact a “Property Owner’s Bill of Rights” (S5879). With this legislation, these are some of the key items natural gas companies will be mandated to do:
• Fully disclose all chemicals used and all compounds created from the fracking process
• Inform the Division of Oil, Gas, and Geothermal Resources what chemicals were injected, the source of water used, how much water was used, and whether any radioactive components resulted from the process
• Reimburse property owners 150% of the real estate’s market value of property based on estimates prior to drilling and 100% of the cost for full remediation of soil and water in the event that there’s any contamination
• Provide property owners with free medical monitoring for life
• Conduct an appraisal of land owner’s property before signing lease agreement using three independent appraisers at the cost of the company, as well as an environmental impact assessment process similar to New York’s SEQR Process to assess the potential dangers for hydraulic fracturing
Please sign the petition below to show your support in protecting all New Yorkers from the financial and health risks associated with hydraulic fracturing and enacting a “Property Owner’s Bill of Rights" (S5879).