JOIN THE FIGHT TO STOP PORT AUTHORITY TOLL INCREASES!
On August 19th, the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey voted on a proposal to increase tolls on Staten Island's three bridges and the busiest entries into New York City. Commuters and businesses are facing outrageous round-trip tolls to use the Goethals, Outerbridge, Bayonne and George Washington Bridges along with Lincoln and Holland Tunnels. These increases, during one of the largest continued economic recessions this country and state have experienced, are placing a major financial burden on millions of New Yorkers.
Lanza is pulling out all the stops to ensure the Port Authority doesn’t continue gouging Staten Island’s drivers. Over the past 2 months Lanza has:
· Joined with legislators from NY & NJ in order to completely restructure the way the Port Authority operates
· Authored the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Oversight Act with New Jersey Assemblywoman Vainieri Huttle —groundbreaking bi-partisan, bi-state package of legislation designed to bring transparency and accountability to the Authority, crackdown on abuses and increase public access and participation
· Introduced legislation which requires an independent need assessment for any proposed increase in fees, tolls, or fares
· Introduced legislation that requires every voting member of the Port Authority Board to attend at least 2 public hearings in each county affected by any proposed toll or fare increases
· Authored legislation requiring the Port Authority to conduct at least 10 public hearings at least 30 days prior to the adoption of any increase in any fee, toll, charge or fare
· Authored legislation which requires an annual independent audit of the Port Authority to be published on their website
· Called on Governor Cuomo to overhaul the Port Authority’s current leadership
· Called for the resignation of any Port Authority Board member who supported the toll hikes and vowed to vote against their future Senate confirmation
· Launched an online petition drive & delivered thousands of signatures to Governor Cuomo & the Executive Director of the Port Authority
· Secured commitment from Senator Charles Fuschillo, Chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee, to adopt his legislative initiatives when the Legislature returns to session and hold Senate Hearings on the Port Authority’s questionable practices
· Called for a Staten Island resident discount on tolls
Sign the petition below and join the fight if you support Lanza’s efforts against the Port Authority.