Go Green! Greenpoint Earth Day festival
* NYS Assemblyman Joe Lentol will kick off the festivities at 11 am with his inimitable rendition of a song of his choice! We will also welcome other elected officials and major supporters.
* Education displays & vendors. Over 70 schools, community groups, companies, and government agencies will offer exhibits and merchandise, designed to enhance our understanding and appreciation of ourselves, our environment and the Earth that we all share. If you haven’t signed up but would like to take a space, it’s not too late. Please contact us as soon as possible.
* Children’s Center. We’ll have wonderful activities for kids and kids at heart including soccer tips by FC Select Soccer, tumbling games by the Gym Park, chess challenges by the IS 318 Champions, an obstacle course by Ms J, interactive art projects by NY Creative Arts Therapists, judo activities by Sylvester Gawel Judo Club, earth-friendly arts & crafts by Spacecraft, and Box City. Box City is an organic playground to be constructed from cardboard boxes and fabric remnants by festival go-ers (in other words, you!), enjoyed throughout the day and then, destroyed as part of the inevitable recycling of our environment. It’s going to be a blast!
* Greencycle Swap. With the view that “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure,” we urge you to drop off your cleaned and gently used clothes, shoes, bedding, toys, and books. We’re also taking in bicycles & electronics (in working order please!) and computers (both working and non-working). Do browse through the selection and cart away as much as your heart desires. All remaining items will be donated to Goodwill.
* CitiStorage will also be on hand if you’d like to dispose of those highly sensitive documents in a secure and professional manner.
* Art, Science & Writing Contests. Writing submissions were due this past Friday. However, art & science contest submissions are due at 11 am on the day of the event and should be brought to the Town Square tent. Distinguished judging panels will choose winners who will receive cash prizes, have the opportunity to present their work at the main stage and be featured in Greenpoint Gazette.
· Blood Drive. The NY Blood Center will be on hand to run a blood drive. Your donation will most surely save a life – and that life could be your own!
* Live Music & Performances featuring Alex Smith and Mike Mizwinski, Baby Soda, Jonathan Samson, the Gym Park Gymnasts, Pat Hull, the Polish American Folk Dancers, and Sylvester Gawel Judo Club.
Please call Amy Chalkley at (347) 559-1410 if you have any questions, or e-mail her at email@example.com.