Selecting a Professional Career
The Department of Labor has established One-Stop Career Centers for you to receive free services and resources on finding a job. So, complete your Registration Form and visit your Local One-Stop Career Center Today ! After you do so, please share your experience with us by completing our on-line survey.
We recommend the following web resources if you need help:
- The Occupational Outlook Handbook is for those who need detailed information (i.e. wages, working conditions, and educational requirements) on a specific profession.
- The Career Guide to Industries is for those who are interested in gaining an in-depth understanding of a specific professional industry.
- The Career Information For Students and Career Zone are web resources for students who want to honestly answer the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”
Wages and Salary Information
Are you looking for work in New York, but are not sure what to ask for your salary? It is always safe to write “negotiable” on your application, but in order to ensure that your employer pays you a living wage, it is important that you know the wages offered for your industry.
- Minimum Wage Information and Prevailing Wage Information is important to know when searching for jobs in NY because you should always know the lowest wage that an employer can legally pay you to work.
- Once you know the minimum wage, it is always helpful to understand how professionals in your desired profession are paid in NY. The New York State Department of Labor website posts Wage Statistics for various occupations in the state.