This summer, take the opportunity to get out and enjoy the great outdoors by exploring one of New York’s beautiful parks.
Many local and state parks are located right in our backyard and offer countless opportunities to appreciate our natural environment, escape from the grind of the everyday, and experience new adventures. Lakeshore beaches, boat launches, historic sites, hiking trails, and campsites await.
Some nearby state parks that offer wonderful opportunities to celebrate the great outdoors include:
Letchworth - Castile, NY
Stony Brook - Dansville, NY
Allegany - Salamanca, NY
Lake Erie - Brocton, NY
Evangola - Irving, NY
Long Point on Chautauqua Lake - Bemus Point, NY
Midway - Bemus Point, NY
Make this the summer you get out and enjoy the great outdoors.
If camping is for you, I encourage you to visit one of the wonderful local campgrounds in our area or check out www.nysparks.com/camping for information on how to book a campsite at one of our state parks.
If you do plan on going camping or hiking this summer, keep these safety tips in mind:
- Before hiking, tell someone where you are going and when you will return in case you need to be reached in an emergency.
- Carry a trail map, compass and a topographic map of the area and know how to use both.
- Pack extra warm clothing, high energy food, a pocket knife, a whistle, and sunscreen when hiking or camping.
- Matches in a waterproof container and cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly will light even when wet.
- If you become lost while hiking, keep calm, stay dry, keep warm and stay put.
- Do not drink water from ponds or streams unless you have treated it first by boiling, filtering or using purification tablets.
- Avoid wading or swimming in unfamiliar waters where there could be sudden, strong currents or steep drop-offs.
For all your summer travel around New York State, visit www.iloveny.com, where you can find information and free brochures on all of the places to go and things to do at attractions and sites right outside your door.
So whether you’ll be travelling or staying close to home, enjoy a healthy, happy, and safe summer!