Senator Phillips' Veterans Resource Center

October 01, 2017

As Americans we have no greater obligation than to honor and thank our veterans for their service to our Nation. 

There are many different programs and services available to assist and recognize the men and women who served our country in the armed forces.  Veterans and their family members can learn more about some of these programs and services below.  Thank you to all veterans for your service!

New York State Veterans Services Mobile App

The New York State Veterans App helps users access a variety of information about state and federal veterans’ benefits, including; healthcare, housing, employment, education, and filing claims for financial veterans’ benefits with the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. 

Download for iOS Devices 

Download for Android Devices 

New York State Veterans Awards

New York State offers several military awards to veterans who currently live in New York State or who were New York State residents at the time of their military service, including:

New York State Conspicuous Service Cross
New York State Medal for Merit
New York State Conspicuous Service Star
New York State Cold War Certificate

Eligibility for these awards is based on the applicant’s military service record.  Click the award names above to view the respective eligibility criteria and obtain applications.  Applications can also be obtained by calling Senator Phillips’ office at 516-746-5924.

These medals can be awarded posthumously to the family of a deceased veteran.

Veterans Benefits

The federal, state and local governments offer a variety of benefits to veterans as a way to recognize their service and help them both during and after their military service.  The links below provide information and assistance regarding accessing government benefits. 

US Department of Veterans Affairs benefits & services homepage

New York State Active Duty Entitlements, Protections & Benefits

New York State Department of Labor (for information on veterans employment)

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (to obtain "veteran designation status" on a driver's license or non-driver ID card)

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (to obtain military & veterans custom license plates)

Nassau County Veterans Services Agency

Nassau County Department of Assessment (for veterans property tax exemptions information & applications)

Requesting Veterans Service Records

Veterans who need to obtain copies of their service records can click the link below for information about filing requests over the Internet or through the mail.

Service record requests