Every person should be able to go to work without fearing harassment and abuse from a co-worker or superior. Whether it’s in Hollywood, a corporate suite, or a government office, there is absolutely no place in our society for sexual harassment.
That's why I am fighting to enact a comprehensive new bi-partisan law to combat sexual harassment in both the public and private sectors all across our state. It would:
- Establish a statutory definition of sexual harassment;
- Prohibit the anonymity of the accused in court-approved settlements and banning mandatory sexual harassment arbitration clauses;
- Prohibit confidentiality agreements unless the victim requests confidentiality;
- Expand protections to independent contractors;
- Create uniform policies for all branches of state and local government; and
- Protect hardworking taxpayers from paying for public sector harassment settlements.
This important legislation will help to send a loud and clear message - that there is no place for sexual harassment in New York State.