Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr. (8th Senate District) today announced that the recently adopted New York State budget addresses some ofLong Island’s most pressing needs, such as tax relief for homeowners, additional aid for local schools, more funding for local health care facilities, and new measures to create jobs encourage economic growth.
"Throughout the budget negotiations, I fought to make sure that Long Islanders would have a budget that provides direct tax relief to homeowners, increases state aid to local school districts, restores funding for local healthcare facilities, and allows businesses to grow and create jobs. This budget delivered on each of those objectives, and will greatly benefit the families in our communities," said Senator Fuschillo.
Here are some of the ways that the 2007-08 budget will benefit Long Island:
ADDITIONAL TAX RELIEF FOR HOMEOWNERS:
* Expands the direct property tax rebate check program to help ease the property tax burden. The Governor had proposed eliminating the tax rebate program.
* Increases the amount of money Long Island seniors enrolled in the Enhanced STAR will receive this year, and makes the cost of living adjustment for the Senior STAR program permanent.
* Rebate increases for Basic STAR recipients will be based on income. Basic STAR recipients will now need to file an application with the State’s Department of Taxation and Finance (DTF) to receive the rebate. DTF will be mailing information about the rebate to all recipients of Basic STAR. Seniors who receive the Enhanced STAR exemption do not need to apply for this rebate. For more information on the 2007-08 rebate program, visit the New York State Office of Real Property Services’ website at http://www.orps.state.ny.us/.
* The STAR program will once again be fully funded.
MILLIONS MORE IN STATE EDUCATION AID:
* Senator Fuschillo helped secure an increase of over $220 million in new education aid for school districts across Long Island.
* This increase in state aid will help provide our children with a high quality education, while at the same time reduce the school tax burden on local families.
RESTORED HEALTHCARE FUNDING FOR LOCAL NURSING HOMES:
* Senator Fuschillo successfully fought to restore over $90 million in health care cuts proposed by the Governor for hospitals and nursing homes across Long Island. This will help preserve access to quality health care and protect patient care programs.
TAX CUTS TO HELP BUSINESSES CONTINUE TO GROW AND CREATE JOBS:
* The newly adopted state budget includes up to $150 million in business tax cuts that will eventually grow to $300 million.
TO SEND AN EMAIL TO SENATOR FUSCHILLO, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE REGULAR UPDATES FROM SENATOR FUSCHILLO, PLEASE CLICK HERE.