State Senator Hugh T. Farley (R, C - Schenectady) asks constituents to help support the New York State Maple Producers Association by patronizing local maple providers during their annual New York State Maple Weekends on March 17 - 18 and again on March 24 - 25.
"This is the time of year when maple providers tap trees and produce great maple products such as candy, syrup and ice cream," Senator Farley said. "There are over 100 producers in New York State and everything they produce is local. By purchasing local Pride of New York products, we keep our dollars local and support our neighbors' and friends' businesses."
Senator Farley said during Maple Weekend providers will hold open houses and provide demonstrations. Participating businesses in Senator Farley's district include:
* Frasiers Sugar Shack (March 24th and 25th), 144 Church Street, Ephratah. Tel: 568-7438
* Mud Road Sugar House (March 17th, 18th, 24th and 25th), 261 Mud Road, Ephratah. Tel: 863-6313.
* Peaceful Valley Maple Farms (March 17th, 18th, 24th & 25th), 116 Lagrange Road, Johnstown. Tel: 762-0491.
* Maple Valley Farm (March 17th and 18th), 84 Harris Road, Corinth. Tel: 654-9752.
* Nightingale's Maple Farm (March 17th, 18th, 24th and 25th), 4767 Jersey Hill Road, Galway. Tel: 882-9334.
According to the New York State Maple Producers Association, sap produced during one season varies from 10 to 20 gallons per tap. The production all depends on the tree, weather conditions, length of the sap season, and method of collecting sap. A single tree can have one, two, or three taps, depending on size and health.
For more information on Maple Weekends or maple production in New York State, visit the Association's website http://www.nysmaple.com/.