State Senator Hugh T. Farley (R,C - Schenectady) announced constituents can assist the survivors of Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama by making cash donations to voluntary relief organizations.
"People across the nation sent donations to New York when the terrorists struck the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001," Senator Farley said. "The outpouring of generosity was overwhelming. People have come into my office and asked how they can return the favor of helping their fellow Americans. While we continue to keep the thousands affected in our thoughts and prayers, the best way for us to help is by making donations to the organizations who already have relief efforts underway."
Senator Farley praised local businesses -- including Unilux Advanced Manufacturing of Niskayuna, Adirondack Beverages of Scotia and Price Chopper -- for the actions they are taking to assist the victims of the hurricane.
"New Yorkers really come together to help their fellow Americans. This generosity is truly inspiring. From donating money, to sending supplies, to giving blood, everyone wants to pitched in," Senator Farley said.
Below is a list of phone numbers of agencies identified by Governor Pataki's office which are currently helping the Hurricane Katrina survivors. They are accepting cash donations and/or volunteers.
* American Red Cross: (800) HELP NOW (435-7669)
* Operation Blessing: (800) 436-6348
* America's Second Harvest: (800) 344-8070
* Adventist Community Services: (800) 381-7171
* Catholic Charities, USA: (703) 549-1390
* Christian Disaster Response: (941) 956-5183 or (941) 551-9554
* Christian Reformed World Relief Committee: (800) 848-5818
* Church World Service: (800) 297-1516
* Convoy of Hope: (417) 823-8998
* Lutheran Disaster Response: (800) 638-3522
* Mennonite Disaster Service: (717) 859-2210
* Nazarene Disaster Response: (888) 256-5886
* Presbyterian Disaster Assistance: (800) 872-3283
* Salvation Army: (800) SAL-ARMY (725-2769)
* Southern Baptist Convention -- Disaster Relief: (800) 462-8657, ext. 6440
* United Methodist Committee on Relief: (800) 554-8583