Disaster Aid Helps Farmers Too

James L. Seward

July 12, 2006

Senator James L. Seward said today thatthose who live onfarms or ranches and theirprimary residences were damaged by the severe flooding that began on June 26 canregister for state and federal disaster aid.

Farmers and ranchers, who suffered damages to their homes and personal property, are encouraged to call and register for disaster aid with the state and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

"Some farmers couldn't get their milk to market because roads were closed and had to dump milk," Senator Seward said. "That's a big loss in addition to damage to property."

"We realize that many farming communities were hard hit by the flooding," said Marianne C. Jackson, federal coordinating officer for FEMA. "Homeowners and renters in these communities need to know they can apply for help with home repairs and other disaster-related needs."

To register for disaster aid, farmers should call FEMA at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585 (hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily) or the State of New York at 1-888-7-NYS-AID (1-888-769-7243) or (TTY) NYS Relay 711 (hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday).

Flood victims can also register online for state aid at www.labor.state.ny.us or with FEMA at www.fema.gov.