Senator Lanza is partnering with the New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) to help victims of Hurricane Sandy deal with a range of legal issues. NYLAG will send one attorney to Senator Lanza’s district office, located at 3845 Richmond Ave., every Thursday, beginning March 21, 2013. An appointment is required and can be made during the hours of 10:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. by calling Senator Lanza’s office at 718-984-4073.
NYLAG's staff has engaged in rigorous trainings on FEMA benefits and other related legal needs in order to handle storm related legal matters for clients. NYLAG also sought the assistance of legal agencies that served victims of Katrina in order to apply best practices and lessons learned in the wake of that disaster to better serve individuals affected by Sandy.
Attorneys from NYLAG will be available to help victims of the storm deal with a range of legal issues, including:
• Filing for FEMA and other disaster program benefits
• Appealing denied claims
• Documenting damage to homes and small businesses
• Bankruptcies and credit problems
• Contractor and other disaster-related fraud
• Financial and debt counseling
ACCESSING & CONTINUING PUBLIC BENEFITS
• Food stamps
• Social Security Disability
• Public Assistance
FAMILY LAW MATTERS
• Domestic violence
• Custody and divorce
• Insurance claims
• Eligibility for housing vouchers
• Landlord/tenant disputes
• Wrongful evictions
• Mortgage issues for affected homes
• Immigrant eligibility for various public benefits
• Emergency immigration legal issues
• Accessing emergency unemployment benefits
• Replacing lost documentation/identification
• Wills and advance directives
• Special education services for displaced disabled
Individuals seeking assistance with legal issues can also call NYLAG’s hotline at 212-584-3365 or email StormHelp@nylag.org.
For more information or to make an appointment, contact Senator Lanza's office at 718-984-4073.