Senator Andrew Lanza, FPA NY & NYPL Sponsoring Free Hurricane Sandy Disaster Financial Relief Workshops
Senator Andrew Lanza’s Office in partnership with The New York Chapter of the Financial Planning Association® (FPA NY) and the New York Public Library is sponsoring pro bono workshops for individuals, families, and small businesses impacted by Superstorm Sandy. These workshops are comprised of a brief presentation (containing information on available resources and tips to help guide victims through this disaster) followed by an individual consultation session.
WHEN: Saturday, February 23rd & Friday, March 1st , 2:00pm - 4:00pm
WHERE: New York Public Library – New Dorp Branch, 309 New Dorp Lane / Staten Island, NY 10306
The services are free of charge and there will be no attempt to sell any products or services. There is no need to register.
To receive free financial planning advice, you must meet one or more of these eligibility requirements:
- Your home has been significantly impaired or damaged;
- Business owner whose place of business has been significantly impaired;
- Loss of work as a direct result;
- Suffered a direct or indirect financial loss;
- Incurred medical and/or other significant expense (e.g., alternative housing); or
- A family member has been injured or died.
Volunteers will provide advice in the following areas:
- Providing guidance to gain more control over their finances
- Identifying resources for relief assistance (e.g., FEMA, SBA)
- Tips to prevent fraudulent services
- Budgeting / managing increased expenses (e.g., alternative living, clothing, medical)
- Debt management
- Tax relief and guidance
- Estate planning
*For directions, please visit www.nypl.org.
About the FPA®: The FPA® is a professional organization comprised mostly of Certified Financial Planners™, lawyers, insurance professionals, and other financial advisors. Its Pro Bono Committee looks to give back to the community by conducting workshops and seminars to promote financial literacy and teach the public about finances. For more information about FPA NY, please visit www.fpany.org.