Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr. (R-Merrick) and the New York State Department of Financial Services will be sponsoring free programs in Bellmore and Merrick to assist residents and business owners with insurance related issues stemming from damage caused by Hurricane Sandy.
Senator Fuschillo has arranged for the Department of Financial Services’ Mobile Assistance Unit to be at the following locations:
- Friday, February 8th, 10 am to 6 pm
Newbridge Road Park, 2600 Newbridge Road, Bellmore
- Wednesday, February 13th, 11 am to 7 pm
Merrick Road Town Park (Golf Course Clubhouse), 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick
At both programs, Department of Financial Services representatives will be available to meet one-on-one with residents and answer storm-related questions about homeowners’, renters’, and business owners’ insurance coverage. According to the Department of Financial Services, representatives will be able to:
- Answer questions about the insurance claims process;
- Help residents seek resolution with an insurer;
- Help residents obtain release of insurance money from their bank;
- Help file an official complaint against an insurer;
- Provide information on local, state, and federal relief programs.
The Department of Financial Services advises residents to bring copies of their insurance documents, payment records, and correspondence with their insurer.
Residents who are unable to attend these programs but would like to get assistance with storm-related insurance issues from a Department of Financial Services representative can call the Department’s insurance disaster hotline at 1-800-339-1759. The hotline is operated from 8 am to 8 pm, seven days a week.