Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr. (R-Merrick) is reminding all Town of Babylon residents that the deadline to apply for New York State’s School Tax Relief (STAR) program and other property tax exemptions in the Town of Babylon is March 1st.
New York State’s STAR program works in two parts:
· Basic STAR is available to all New Yorkers who own and live in their own home, condominium, or cooperative apartment whose combined total adjusted gross income does not exceed $500,000, regardless of age.
· Enhanced STAR is available to senior citizen property owners whose combined total adjusted gross income (less any IRA distributions) is under $79,050 and who will be age 65 or older by December 31, 2013. If the property is owned by a husband and wife, or by siblings, only one of them must be at least 65 years old to qualify for this exemption.
Residents who already receive the Basic STAR exemption or who participate in the Enhanced STAR Income Verification Program do not need to re-file.
Residents who moved to a new house and had the STAR exemption at their previous address need to file a new application. The STAR exemption is not automatically transferred to a new address.
In addition, the Town of Babylon also offers other property tax exemptions, including:
· Senior citizens
· Cold War veterans
· First-time homebuyer of newly constructed homes
· Volunteer firefighters or ambulance service workers
· Persons with disabilities & limited incomes
· Capital improvements
STAR applications and information about other tax exemptions in the Town of Babylon can be obtained by clicking here.