Senator Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr. (R-Merrick) is reminding all Town of Babylon residents that they can save on their school taxes through New York State’s STAR program.
"New York State’s STAR program provides eligible homeowners with hundreds of dollars in school tax savings,” said Senator Fuschillo. “Additionally, the Town of Babylon offers other exemptions which could provide further savings to homeowners. If you haven’t already applied for STAR or other property tax exemptions, don’t miss the opportunity to save money on your taxes.”
The STAR program works in two parts:
- Basic STAR is available to all New Yorkers who own and live in their own home, condominium, or cooperative apartment whose adjusted gross income does not exceed $500,000, regardless of age.
- Enhanced STAR is available to senior citizen property owners whose adjusted gross income is under $79,050 and who will be age 65 or older by December 31, 2011. If the property is owned by a husband and wife, or by siblings, only one of them must be at least 65 years old to qualify for this exemption.
Residents who already receive the Basic STAR exemption or who participate in the Enhanced STAR Income Verification Program do not need to re-file.
Residents who moved to a new house and had the STAR exemption at their previous address need to file a new application. The STAR exemption is not automatically transferred to a new address.
In addition, the Town of Babylon also offers other property tax exemptions, including:
* Cold War veterans
* First-time homebuyer of newly constructed homes
* Volunteer firefighters or ambulance service workers
* Persons with disabilities & limited incomes
* Capital improvements
Residents who need additional information about the Basic or Enhanced STAR program or need applications can click here. STAR applications and information about other tax exemptions can also be obtained by contacting the Town of Babylon’s Department of Assessment at 631-957-3014 or clicking here. The filing deadline is March 1, 2011.