SYRACUSE, N.Y.—Businesses that have found it difficult to navigate state regulations or find available funding will now have a place to go for help, thanks to one of seven bills sponsored by State Senator David J. Valesky (D-Oneida) that were signed into law yesterday.
The legislation (S3076) creates regional “one-stop” economic development centers where business owners can learn about state programs that benefit their businesses and receive help in navigating sometimes complicated federal, state and local regulations, including licensing and permitting.
“This legislation is important to Upstate New York because it will aid small business growth, which leads to economic development and new jobs,” Senator Valesky, Vice President Pro-Tempore of the State Senate, said. “I am pleased that the Governor recognized the critical importance of building a business-friendly climate in New York State by signing this legislation into law.”
The governor also signed five other bills sponsored by Senator Valesky into law:
- S1599, requiring companies proposing electric transmission projects make funds available to help municipalities, citizens and community groups intervene in those projects
- S6017, strengthening the Main Street grant program for infrastructure improvements to main streets in cities and villages
- S3812, authorizing the installation of traffic control photo violation monitoring systems (“Red Light Cameras”) in the City of Syracuse
- S4283, inclusion of residential micro combined heat and power systems in technologies that can be connected to the grid
- S5586, equalizing modular and site-built homes under sales tax code
- S5405, extending the existing Task Force on Retired Race Horses which identifies and encourages more productive uses for race horses after their racing careers.
In the 2009 legislative session, Senator Valesky was the prime sponsor of 32 pieces of legislation that passed both the Senate and Assembly. Twenty-eight of these have been signed into law, the most of any legislator in either house.
For a complete list of the Senator’s legislation, visit valesky.nysenate.gov.