More than a dozen museums in Central New York will participate in the first ever New York State Museum Week May 31 to June 6, State Senator David J. Valesky (D-Oneida), announced. New York State is celebrating the diversity and richness of its museums by inviting residents and visitors alike to discover the fascinating worlds of art, photography, history, science, pop-culture and more during the inaugural celebration.
“Central New York is home to a wide variety of museums for many interests—history, science and technology, art, and more,” Senator Valesky said. “I encourage everyone to take advantage of the wonderful opportunities we have right in our backyard and visit these great facilities.”
Participating museums in Central New York are:
• Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum – Chittenango
• The Gerrit Smith Estate, National Historic Landmark – Peterboro
• National Abolition Hall of Fame and Museum – Peterboro
• Oneida Community Mansion House – Oneida
• Oneida County Historical Society – Oneida
• Erie Canal Museum -- Syracuse
• Everson Museum of Art – Syracuse
• The Matilda Joslyn Gage Center – Fayetteville
• Museum of Science & Technology – Syracuse
• Onondaga Historical Association Museum -- Syracuse
• Schweinfurth Art Center – Auburn
• Seward House Museum – Auburn
• Stickley Museum – Fayetteville
• Ward W. O'Hara Agricultural & Country Living Museum /Dr. Joseph F.
Karpinski Sr. Educational Center – Auburn
For more information about Museum Week and to see a complete list of participating museums across the state, visit http://www.iloveny.com/summer/themes/museum-week.aspx.