Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)

ERAP Applications Are Being Accepted

The COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2020 ensures New York renters and homeowners impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic can safely remain in their homes. Applications to the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) are being accepted.

Per the state Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance: “Total requests for assistance exceed available federal funding for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP). Due to a court order, applications for ERAP will be accepted statewide on January 11, 2022 at 10 p.m. There is currently no federal funding available to provide assistance in most areas of the State. Therefore, applications will only be reviewed and considered for funding if additional funds become available, except in the areas listed below."

Specific Jurisdictions with Projected Available Funding Read More

Funding and eligibility are not guaranteed, but funds are projected to be available for the following areas of the state where allocations have not been exhausted and tenants in these areas are encouraged to apply.

  • Dutchess County
  • Nassau County (not including the towns of Hempstead or Oyster Bay)
  • Oneida County
  • Saratoga County
  • Suffolk County (not including the towns of Babylon, Brookhaven, or Islip)

Households in any part of the state with income over 80 percent and up to 120 percent of area median income can still apply for state-funded emergency rental assistance.

Where You Can Receive Immediate Assistance Read More

Households who need immediate assistance with help paying for rental arrears, ongoing rent, food or providing heating assistance may apply for assistance through:

Their local department of social services office.

For areas outside of New York City: myBenefits

The United Way Helpline, which has access to various local services throughout the state. They can be reached by phone by dialing 211.

New York City residents can obtain information on various local services by calling 311.