Senator Martins & Long Island Cares Sponsoring Pet Food Drive to Help Animals in Need
Senator Jack Martins (R-Mineola) is joining with Long Island Cares in sponsoring a pet food drive to help animals in need.
“Anyone who has a dog or cat knows that they are not just animals; they become part of the family. When a family falls on hard times, having to give up their pet and place it in a shelter can be devastating for both them and the animal. This program will help support Long Island Cares’ efforts to help ensure that pets can stay in their homes, with their families, where they belong,” said Senator Martins.
Long Island Cares’ Baxter’s Pet Pantry distributes pet food and supplies through its network of nearly 600 community based member agencies to help families in need keep their pets at home, as opposed to placing them in shelters. Nearly 500,000 pounds of pet food and pet supplies have been distributed since 2010, according to Long Island Cares.
Residents interested in participating in the pet food drive can donate the following items:
• 5 or 10 pound bags of dog and cat food;
• Canned pet food;
• Kitty Litter;
• Pet toys;
• Other types of food/items for all other types of pets.
Donations can be dropped off at the following locations now through the end of April:
• Senator Martins’ District Office (151 Herricks Road, Garden City Park);
• Garden City Veterinary Care (244 Herricks Road, Mineola)
• North Shore Animal League of America (25 David Avenue, Port Washington);
• Shelter Rock Library (165 Searingtown Road, Albertson);
• Village of Kensington (2 Nassau Drive, Great Neck);
• Village of New Hyde Park (1420 Jericho Turnpike, New Hyde Park)
• Village of Plandome Manor (55 Manhasset Avenue, Manhasset)
• Village of Roslyn Estates (25 The Tulips, Roslyn Estates)
• Village of Stewart Manor (120 Covert Avenue, Stewart Manor);
• Williston Park Library (494 Willis Avenue, Williston Park);
Residents who need to take advantage of the services offered by Long Island Cares can contact them at 631-582-FOOD.