SENATOR DEFRANCISCO ANNOUNCES STATE GRANTS FOR
LIBRARY CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS IN ONONDAGA COUNTY
Grants are Supported by $14 million in Capital Funds for Public Library Construction
Senator John A. DeFrancisco (R-I-C, Syracuse) today announced that several libraries in Onondaga County have been awarded New York State Public Library Construction Grants to help make necessary improvements to their buildings.
The local grants are among 173 construction grants awarded to public libraries and library systems throughout New York State, which are supported by $14 million in capital funds for public library construction provided in the 2009 State Budget.
“Many of New York’s public libraries are in urgent need of renovation and upgrading,” said Senator DeFrancisco. “Some are unable to accommodate users with disabilities, many are energy inefficient, and others are simply deteriorating due to age. I am very pleased that several libraries in my district have been awarded construction grants. Our libraries are a valuable resource and we should be doing all that we can to maintain them and improve upon them.”
The following local libraries have been awarded construction grants:
· OCPL- Hazard Branch Library -- $105,000 for the replacement of the roof.
· OCPL- Paine Branch Library -- $55,000 for the replacement of the roof.
· OCPL- Beauchamp Branch Library -- $87,500 for the replacement of the roof.
· OCPL – Petit Branch Library -- $113,708 for replacement of roof, and upgrading of HVAC system.
· Tully Free Library -- $3,183 for replacement of windows on south side of library and the purchase of furnishings for the new community room.
· Liverpool Public Library -- $4,772 for the installation of electronic safety devices in elevators, the replacement of fixtures in elevator lobby; and installation of power pole for self-checkout computers at the main desk.
· Salina Free Library -- $7,025 for the replacement of approximately 250 square feet of sidewalk at the building entrance, and coating of all walks, new and old, with epoxy nonskid surface.
· OCPL Mundy Branch Library -- $64,000 for replacement of the roof.
· Baldwinsville Public Library -- $3,112 for installation of security system for building access and internal and external detection.
· Maxwell Memorial Library -- $5,587 for replacement of the hot water boiler for the heating system.
Public library construction grants help local libraries and library systems build new libraries, create additions, update electrical wiring to accommodate computer technology, meet standards of energy efficiency, renovate facilities to provide full accessibility to library users with disabilities, and provide meeting rooms to accommodate community needs.
The grants announced today are separate from the ongoing annual appropriation for public library construction.