Addabbo Brings Free Mammography Van Back to Woodhaven
Local Women Urged to Welcome Spring, the Season of Renewal, with Breast Cancer Screening
Queens, NY, March 25, 2011 – On Saturday, April 16, between 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., NYS Senator Joseph P. Addabbo, Jr., is sponsoring a free Mobile Mammography Van, with the staff from St. Barnabas Hospital, at the Woodhaven-Richmond Hill Ambulance Corps, 78-15 Jamaica Avenue, Woodhaven. An appointment is necessary; call 1-718-738-1111. Women ages 40 and over are urged to have a free screening for cancer. This is the eighth free mammography event the Senator has coordinated with the American-Italian Cancer Foundation for women in his district since October 2008.
Explains Senator Addabbo, “We know that early detection of breast cancer can save lives. Once again, I worked with the American-Italian Cancer Foundation to bring their Mammogram Van to my district, offering free, vital health care services for women ages 40 and older, who have had no mammograms in the last 12 months, who either have no insurance, or are insured by Medicare, Medicaid or other health insurance and will be billed for services.” For women without health insurance, services will be paid for by the Screening Partnerships of the New York State Cancer Services Program (NYS CSP) or through generous contributions by the American-Italian Cancer Foundation’s donors. “However, even insured women will not be charged a copayment and will not receive a bill,” added the Senator.
On the day of the Mammogram Van visit, women with Medicare, Medicaid, or other coverage provided by Medicare, Medicaid or almost any other health insurance, must bring their membership card. For more details about the NYS CSP, call 866-442-CANCER (2262).
On the day of your visit:
· Wear a two-piece outfit;
· Please do not use any oil, powder, deodorant, or perfume in the breast, underarm or chest area;
· If you have Medicare, Medicaid or other health insurance, you must bring your card with you.
In addition to a mammogram performed by a certified, licensed mammography technologist, professional medical services from St. Barnabas Hospital staff will include:
· Clinical breast exam and instruction in breast self-exam by a trained professional
· Radiological interpretations performed by Board Certified Radiologists
· Results will be sent to each woman and/or her doctor within 10 business days (please provide St. Barnabas staff with full name, address to send results to the doctor)
· If you provide St. Barnabas staff with previous mammogram films, a comparison radiological study will be done, which in some cases eliminates the need for additional testing.
For more information, please call 1-718-738-1111.
Senator Addabbo notes, “I want to thank all the generous donors who have funded the American-Italian Cancer Foundation’s Mobile Mammography Program: Avon Foundation Breast Care Fund, National Breast Cancer Foundation, New York City Council, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, The Greater NYC Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, and the New York State Department of Health.”
# # #