NEW YORK – With near-100-degree temperatures and higher humidity forecasted for the next two days, Con Edison is offering
energy-savings tips to help customers save money while staying cool.
Customers can report power interruptions or service problems, view service restoration information and the outage map online at www.conEd.com, as well as on their mobile device. They also may call 1-800-75-CONED promptly if they are experiencing any service difficulties.
Check out this video of our crews in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__9mf-JKqY
In addition, Con Edison has invested $1.2 billion for system improvements for 2012. This year’s electric delivery improvements included $928 million for cables, transformers, and network protectors; $34 million on transmission upgrades; and $208 million on new substation installations and related equipment http://www.coned.com/summerprep.
The company also reminds customers that $25 rebates are available for customers who invest in cost-cutting Energy Star-rated room air conditioners. Applications for the $25 rebate can be downloaded at www.coned.com/roomacrebates.
Some steps to stay cool include:
· Making sure air conditioner filters are clean for peak efficiency;
· Setting thermostats no lower than 78 degrees. Each degree lower increases cooling costs by 6 percent;
· Closing off the rooms not being used if you have a room air-conditioner; if you have central air, block the vents in unused or vacant rooms;
· Turning off lights and other appliances, using a timer to turn them on as necessary;
· Running appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers, and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s generally cooler. Another alternative: using a microwave to cook, or a barbecue outside, if possible.
· Accepting Con Edison’s offer of a free programmable thermostat if you have central air conditioning. Program the thermostat manually or from the Internet. Turning off your air conditioner when you’re not there beats leaving it on all the time, and programming it instead to turn on before you return is a wise way to save on summer electric bills. To learn more about Con Edison’s free programmable thermostat, call 1-866-521-8600 or visit www.conEd.com/cool.
Energy-savings tips are also available on Facebook at Power of Green, on Twitter @ConEdLiz and @ConEdSara and by downloading the company’s Power of Green iPhone app.
Con Edison’s Green Team continues to offer a host of energy-savings programs for homes and businesses. Customers can take steps to reduce energy usage this summer with rebates and incentives now available for energy-efficient appliances and cooling systems in their homes and businesses. To learn more or enroll, go to www.coned.com/GreenTeam or call 1-877-870-6118.