Senator Patty Ritchie’s Jefferson County Senior Health and Wellness Fair is happening this Friday, October 5th at Jefferson Community College’s McVean Student Center, located at 1220 Coffeen Street in Watertown. The Fort Drum Regional Health Planning Organization will cohost this year’s fair.
The FREE event—which runs from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.—will feature over 50 exhibitors offering seniors health tips, wellness checks and free flu shots (available with Medicare or insurance ID). Attendees are also invited to enjoy entertainment and a free lunch, prepared by ‘future chefs’ from CiTi BOCES.
“Throughout the years, I have seen the impact my Senior Fairs have had on the lives of our seniors who are looking to not only maintain their health, but become more active and take control of their lives,” Senator Ritchie said. “Perhaps just has important as all of the health tips and screenings available at the fair, is the fact people can get out, enjoy a social event with their peers and just have fun. I cannot wait to see everyone there.”
Senator Ritchie is also teaming up with several community organizations to offer free or reduced bus rides to and from the fair.
Busing routes and pick-up times for Senator Ritchie’s Jefferson County Senior Health and Wellness Fair are as follows:
Lundy Services Medical Transportation
- Meadowbrook Terrace Assisted Living Facility (21995 Cole Rd, Carthage): 10:00 a.m.
- J. Dalton Estates (38 N Broad Street, Carthage): 10:15 a.m.
- Westside Terrace (63 Madison Street, Carthage): 10:15 a.m.
- Longfalls Apartments (222 State Street, Carthage): 10:30 a.m.
*Call location pick-up site to reserve your seat
** Will be returning at 2:00 p.m.
Paynter Senior Citizens Center
- Aubrey Courts (455 Bay St., Jefferson, Cape Vincent): 9:15 a.m.
- Riverview Apartments (912 Strawberry Lane, Clayton): 10:00 a.m.
- Gordon Courts Apartments (1 Bolton Avenue, Alexandria Bay): 10:30 a.m.
- LaFargeville Senior Housing Apartments (36421 Penet Square Drive, La Fargeville): 10:45a.m.
*Call Dan or Rose at (315) 686-3553 to reserve your seat
**Will be returning at 2:00 p.m.
Volunteer Transportation Center
- Country View Apartments (87 East Church St, Adams, NY): 10:30am
*Call Sue at (315) (315)232-2622 to reserve your seat
**Will be returning at 1:00 p.m.
Watertown CiTi Bus, City of Watertown
- Using the 2018 Schedule, drop off/pick up times at JCC are 10:30, 11:50, 1:10 and 2:30. The last pick up will be at 2:30 pm.
- Cost: Seniors 65 and older will get a reduced fair (.75 each way) by showing their Medicare card or ID with date of birth. There will be no charge for transferring to another bus.
In addition to exhibitors, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department will be on hand to help seniors safely dispose of expired or unwanted prescription drugs.
This year’s Jefferson County Senior Health and Wellness Fair would not be possible without the generosity of numerous local businesses and organizations including:
- Fort Drum Regional Health Planning Organization
- Behling Orchards
- Cabot Cheese
- Carthage Area Hospital
- CiTi BOCES
- The Country Stompers
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
- Kinney Drugs
- River Hospital
- Samaritan Medical Center
- Watertown High School Wind Ensemble