Creating the Green Jobs/Green New York Program – Good for the Economy – Good for the Environment!
In October, the Green Jobs/Green New York Program was enacted into law. This new initiative invests in a cleaner New York while at the same time creating job opportunities. At a time when economic development is on life support, it is initiatives like this that are needed to stimulate our economy . I supported Senate bill 5888 when it came before the Senate for a vote.
* This new law will use Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) funding to create a green jobs training program throughout the State to establish a workforce trained in installing and using clean energy technology. The New York State Department of Labor will work with NYSERDA on implementing employment and training services.
* This program will be established through the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) which will create a demonstration program to provide funding for energy audits and energy-efficiency improvements.
* NYSERDA will also work with the Division of Housing and Community Renewal, the Department of Public Service, as well as the Department of Environmental Conservation to create a competitive grant process.
* A Green Jobs-Green New York revolving loan fund will be created from the RGGI, some of which will be specifically intended for residential retrofits.
* This bill will reduce harmful emissions by encouraging the use of clean energy technologies, and in doing so will result in lessening our reliance on fossil fuels and lower energy costs for businesses and homeowners.
You can find more information on this by clicking on “Legislation” and looking at S.5888 or Chapter 487 of the Laws of 2009.