NYSDOT Releases Competitive Solicitation for up to $11.5 Million Under the Federal Transit Administration Section 5310 Program

The New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) has released a competitive solicitation for project applications for up to $11.5 million under the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 Program for Federal Fiscal Year 2012.  The Section 5310 Program (49 U.S.C. 5310) provides federal funding assistance to meet the specialized transportation needs of elderly individuals and individuals with disabilities.

In New York state, NYSDOT is the agency designated to administer this federal funding program.  Through the FTA Section 5310 Program, which is a capital-only program, funds are used to purchase ADA accessible buses primarily for not-for-profit organizations throughout the state.  The program provides 80 percent of the vehicle purchase cost, with the remaining 20 percent provided by the successful applicant/recipient organization as a required local match.  Recipients are responsible for 100 percent of their ongoing operating expenses for buses purchased under this program.

The following are eligible to apply under this solicitation for projects under the FTA Section 5310 Program:     

  • Not-for-profit organizations that serve elderly individuals or individuals with disabilities (primary applicant);
  • Public bodies (municipalities, county-level governments) in rural counties that are approved by the State to coordinate services for elderly individuals and individuals with disabilities; and
  • Public bodies that can certify that no not-for-profit organizations are available in the area to provide these services.

The deadline for the submission of applications is June 1, 2012.  To be considered for funding, applications must demonstrate proof of eligibility under one of the three categories listed above as well as the ability to meet certain mandatory federal requirements of the FTA.  Eligible applicants are encouraged to download application solicitation materials from the Department's website at www.dot.ny.gov/public-transportation and by following the Specialized Transportation link to the Section 5310 Elderly & Disabled Program site.