Search OpenLegislation Statutes

This entry was published on 2014-09-22
The selection dates indicate all change milestones for the entire volume, not just the location being viewed. Specifying a milestone date will retrieve the most recent version of the location before that date.
Colleges may construct water-works and sewer systems
Education (EDN) CHAPTER 16, TITLE 1, ARTICLE 5, PART 1
§ 227. Colleges may construct water-works and sewer systems. 1. Every
incorporated college in this state is duly authorized and empowered to
construct and maintain a system of water-works for the purpose of
supplying its college buildings and premises with pure and wholesome
water for domestic, sanitary and fire purposes, and for the preservation
of the health of its students, faculty and employees, and for the
preservation of the public health of the town, village or city in or
near which such college is located, and the construction and maintenance
of such water-works is declared to be a public use. Such water-works, as
often as necessary, may be enlarged or improved. Every such incorporated
college owning its water-works system and having an adequate supply of
water therefrom, may furnish water to persons other than students,
faculty and employees of such college at and for a just and adequate
compensation, providing that they reside within a sewer district now
created in which the premises of the said college or any part thereof
are embraced, and provided no municipal or private public service
corporation operates or maintains a system of water-works therein
capable of supplying water to such inhabitants, and provided further
that the provisions therein relative to the residence of the purchasers
of water within a sewer district shall not restrict Cornell University
from selling water to the residents of the hamlet of Forest Home or a
water district organized for the purpose of furnishing a potable water
supply to said hamlet. Whenever any such college shall extend its mains
along any streets, avenues or highways for the purpose of supplying
water to such inhabitants, it shall not lose its exemption from taxation
by reason thereof, and shall not be deemed to be exercising a public or
corporate franchise within the meaning of the tax law.

2. Any such college shall have the right to acquire real estate, or
any interest therein, necessary or proper for such water-works, and the
right to lay, relay, repair and maintain conduit and water pipes, with
connections and fixtures, on, through, and over the lands of others; the
right to intercept and divert the flow of waters from the lands of
riparian owners, and from persons owning and interested in any waters;
and the right to prevent the flow or drainage of noxious, or impure, or
unwholesome matter from the lands of others into its reservoirs, or
sources of supply. But no such college shall ever have power to take or
use water from any of the lands of this state, or any land, reservoir,
or feeders, or any streams which have been taken by the state for the
purpose of supplying the canals with water. The consent of an
incorporated village or city must be obtained to lay any such pipes in
or through its streets, and such consent may be accompanied by such
reasonable conditions or restrictions as are proper.

3. Such college may cause such examinations and surveys for its
proposed water-works to be made as may be necessary to determine the
proper location thereof, and for such purpose, by its officers, agents
and servants, may enter upon any lands or waters in the vicinity for the
purpose of making such examinations and surveys, subject to liability
for all damage done. When surveys or examinations are made or concluded,
a map shall be made of the lands or interests to be taken or entered
upon, and on which the land or interest of each owner or occupant shall
be designated, and all streets and roads in which it is proposed to lay
conduit pipes, with the proposed line thereof, which map shall be dated
and signed by the engineer making the same; and said map shall be filed
and kept in the college library for examination and reference, and a
duplicate thereof shall be filed in the clerk's office in each county
wherein any of such lands or interests proposed to be taken are located.
Such examinations and surveys may be ordered and directed by the
president or board of trustees of such college. A majority of the
trustees shall determine upon the construction of such water-works and
the plans thereof, and order contracts therefor to be made by such
officers of the college as may be designated.

4. If any such college shall be unable to agree upon such terms of
purchase of any such property, right or easements, before or after plans
shall be determined upon, it may, after such plans have been adopted,
acquire the same by condemnation, according to the provisions of the
eminent domain procedure law.

5. When any such college has constructed and completed water-works, as
above provided, it may, by a majority of its trustees, determine upon
and construct a sewer system; it may connect the same with the sewer
system of the village, city or town sewer districts thereof in or near
which said college is situated, if such connection is practicable. A
college, with the approval of its trustees, may allow its sewer system
to serve as an interconnection between separate sewer systems of
villages, cities or town sewer districts when and so long as such use of
the sewer system of the college does not interfere with or limit the use
of that sewer system by the college. The college shall not lose its
exemption from taxation by reason of such connection or interconnection
of its sewer system and the college shall not be deemed to be exercising
a public or corporate franchise within the meaning of the tax law.
Examination, surveys and a map may be made as above provided. Lands and
easements may be acquired by purchase, as above provided, and in case
such acquisition can not be made by purchase then they may be acquired
by condemnation, according to the provisions of the condemnation law.